$80.00 - Digital Score and Parts
The term “Phase Shift” is a change in the phase of a waveform. Meaning how far has the waveform shifted from its usual position. In this piece, we iterate on that concept by putting the ensemble into an unusual arrangement and shifting the sound (waveforms) away from their usual positions. Throughout the piece, a 4-note motif is present that is passed around from side to side and shifted between instrument families throughout the stage. Punctuated brass fanfares mark each phase shift while providing driving motion for the entire piece.
More than that, the title refers to the shift away from the traditional performance medium to a more modern soundscape with incorporated electronics. The concert band medium has gone under many evolutions over the last 100 years and “Phase Shift” celebrates those evolutions while taking that next step into the future.
- Purdue University Symphonic Band, Dr. Jonathan Sweet (Consortium Lead)
- Bellevue West High School, Marques Eckhoff
- Ferris State University, Richard Scott Cohen
- Dordt University Bands. Dr. Onsby C. Rose
- Ottawa University Wind Ensemble. Dr. Kevin Maret
- Metropolitan State University, David Kish
- University of Illinois at Chicago Symphonic Band, Nicholas Carlson
- Mississippi State University Concert Band, Craig Aarhus
Ensembles: Concert Band